Login Register

Fire crew called out to free woman whose bum was stuck in wall

By East Grinstead Courier  |  Posted: July 22, 2013

TO THE RESCUE: Crew manager Neil Mason (second right) says the team "remained professional" as they freed a woman whose bottom was stuck in a wall

Comments (1)

A LATE night reveller got a bum deal after she sat down to rest her tired feet – and got stuck in a wall.

A neighbour is believed to have dialled 999 after realising the woman, in her 30s, was unable to escape from the stone structure in Portland Road, East Grinstead.

East Grinstead Fire Station crew manager Neil Mason insisted he and his colleagues “remained professional” when the call came in at about 1.30am on Saturday.

The firefighters attempted to save the woman – and her blushes – by using manpower to pull her from the wall, but their rescue mission was foiled.

They eventually managed to get to the bottom of it by squeezing her backwards out of the gap she fell into.

Crew manager Mason said: “The wall was made up of stone pillars, some of which were varied in shape and size. It appeared the woman sat down and slipped, and got her hips caught in the wall.

“We had a look at what was going to be the easiest way to release her. We tried to pull her out front ways, but it wasn’t working. In the end, we managed to get her to reverse back through the wall and through a gap.

“She was on her own, so we think the call came in either from a neighbour or a passer-by.

“It’s the first call of that nature that any of us have been out to.”

The upside of the backside rescue is that the woman escaped unharmed.

Crew manager Mason said she “had probably had a couple of drinks” by the time they reached her.

Read more from Crawley News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • redblueeagle  |  July 22 2013, 12:43PM

    We were the ones who called this in after finding her stuck in the wall. As we were walking home past Portland Road we heard someone screaming "Please don't do this to me" and thought the worst. We found her and tried to free her before calling 999. The Police arrived before we left to go home. I am glad that she is ok and hope that the fire crew didn't get as much abuse thrown at them as we did. She was quite abusive and we were only trying to help!

    |   11