Login Register

PHOTOS: Burnt-out bus which caught fire in Bewbush

By Crawley News  |  Posted: December 23, 2013

  • FAULT: An electrical fault is understood to have caused the fire (photo by Ian Turner)

  • BURNT OUT: The shell of a bus that caught fire in Bewbush (photo by Ian Turner)

  • CLOSED: Sullivan Drive was closed to motorists but it has reopened (photo by Ian Turner)

Comments (0)

AN ELECTRICAL fault is believed to have caused a blaze on a bus in Bewbush today (December 23).

Windows to the front, side and back of the single-decker bus had been smashed, according to eyewitness Ian Turner.

Two fire engines were sent to the fire at the Sullivan Drive junction with Barlow Road after an emergency call at 1.04pm.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus battled the blaze using two hoses and two high-powered hoses.

The fire had been "well alight".

Everybody had left the bus before the arrival of fire crews.

Fire crews were away from the scene by 1.31pm.

Sullivan Drive was closed but has now reopened.

Mr Turner described seeing the "burnt out shell" of a bus.

The 29-year-old, of Deerswood Court, Ifield, said: "I was driving from Ifield to Faygate when I saw two fire engines.

"I got to Sullivan Drive at around 1.40pm and saw a burnt-out Metrobus.

"A back window was smashed on the driver's side and the windscreen and the driver's side window was smashed.

"I could see it was burnt out. It was black and there was a lot of fire damage - it must have been quite big."

He added: "I saw two people from Metrobus, who had parked a van nearby.

"They were wearing high-vis jackets. I think one was the driver."

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR