Login Register

Crawley Town admit transfer embargo lasted "a month or so"

By Crawley News  |  Posted: August 21, 2013

Comments (0)

RICHIE BARKER has confirmed that Crawley Town's transfer embargo lasted longer than originally thought, with the Reds manager admitting "for a month or so" he was not allowed to register new players.

However, speaking at a fans' forum held at the Broadfield on Monday evening, Barker said that now the embargo was over he was hoping to bring in up to two loan signings.

Last week, Crawley released a statement hinting an embargo had been in place for mere days, saying: "There is a five-day period whist the Football League scrutinise the SCMP [Salary Cost Management Protocol] returns and following this exercise the league will either ask for more details to verify the information submitted or approve the submission.

"During this short monitoring period clubs can be placed under a temporary registration embargo whilst their SCMP documents are reviewed and this was the case for us."

But after a question at the fans forum, Barker explained the club's spending had been "a little over where we should have been" leading to a month-long sanction – something that may explain the sparse signings during the summer.

"There were stories of a transfer embargo but it wasn't what you thought and it wasn't linked to a lack of finances," Barker told the fans. "It was down to Financial Fair Play rules which are the new rules that have come in now about only spending a certain percentage (of your income).

"The easiest way to put it is for a small amount of time we were over. Not in dangerous way, just a little over where we should have been. So for a month or so I wasn't allowed to bring in.

"It was tough at the time, but it certainly wasn't anything that was going to cause the club any problems.

"But it wasn't because of a shortage of money, it was just down to miscalculations."

And now free of the embargo, Barker would like to add to his small squad.

He said: "I don't like to say 'when we came out of the embargo' because we were never really in it, they just said until you are under a certain percentage then you are not allowed to register any more players. But we are back out of that now, and it's fine, and there is some kind of scope for one or two to come in. The chances are at the moment that it will probably be a loan or two."

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR