A VIOLENT, abusive 12-year-old has become the town's youngest ever person to be slapped with an ASBO.
The Bewbush boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was told by District Judge Roger Ede how he will be subject to a three-year ASBO (antisocial behaviour order), which among other things prevents him from entering Dorsten Square and requires him to be at home in the evenings.
Shockingly, the News was banned from naming the boy, even though revealing his identity would help the public inform the police if he breaches his ASBO.
Sitting at Crawley Magistrates Court on Monday, District Judge Ede said he needed to be mindful of the child's welfare as well as the public, and feared the boy would view publicity as "name and fame" rather than name and shame.
Last week, the News revealed how the boy was set to be hit with the ASBO, after an initial court hearing on January 19.
On Monday, Judge Ede said: "His behaviour is very concerning at such a young age.
"One statement from a shopkeeper says he would go into the shop and throw things about, he's shouting and swearing, pushing people off bikes, getting people to buy him alcohol.
"The shopkeeper has said it's affecting his business and his health; he's outside with a can of alcohol in his hand swearing at people and telling people he will beat them up if they grass him."
Judge Ede added: "Residents are frightened of going out in the evening. People have had enough of his behaviour and they shouldn't have to put up with it."
The child, who was recently convicted of attempted robbery when he was just 11, has run riot around Bewbush for the last two years causing police to seek an ASBO before he was 12.
The court heard how on one evening when he was picked up by the authorities he told them he had taken seven lines of cocaine, "smoked a few spliffs", taken an ecstasy pill and guzzled lager that night.
Jane Penny, defending, said: "I think from the family's position, his mother welcomes the support that will be given from the youth offending team which will supplement her authority.
"A lot of his difficulties is in relation to the association with older boys and being provided with substances from them."
Judge Ede added: "I find the way he's behaving at his age quite shocking."
Police were thrilled with Monday's result and say it's a step closer to cracking down on antisocial behaviour in the town.
Sergeant Darren Taylor said: "This antisocial behaviour order came about because people were brave and informed us and gave statements.
"Getting this ASBO today has shown that we are taking on board what residents are saying and doing everything we can to stop this kind of behaviour."
THE TOWN'S youngest ever ASBO boy faces court and possibly detention if he:
Enters Dorsten Square, Dorsten Square car park and access roads and footpaths leading into the square.
Has or drinks alcohol in any public place in West Sussex.
is caught under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances in a public place in West Sussex.
Is caught in possession of any drugs anywhere in West Sussex.
Caught associating with various youths in Bewbush (unless taking part in activities organised by the youth offending team.
Spits or uses threatening, insulting or abusive words or behaviour
If he is outside his home address (or his fathers when visiting) between 8pm and 6am until January 26, 2011, or between 9pm and 6am between January 26, 2011 and January 26, 2012, unless accompanied by his mother, father or the authorities.